Sunday, July 15, 2012

Diesel Unholy Cocktail (5x56 torpedo)








I received a Diesel Unholy Cocktail in a CI sampler I ordered some months back. I stuck it in the bottom of the humidor and forgot about it till recently. I believe it spent about 6 months in the humidor before my rediscovery of it's being there. The attractive band at the foot grabbed my attention and so I picked it for the next victim of cigar arson. This is my first taste of the diesel brand by A.J. Fernandez. This blend is available in 2 sizes, the Unholy Cocktail (5x56 torpedo) and the Short Ltd. (4.5x60). It has a chocolate brown Pennsylvania Broadlead Maduro wrapper, Nicaraguan binder, and filler from the different regions of Nicaragua ( Jalapa, Condega, and Esteli). It had a few veins but was smooth to the touch. The body smelled of slightly sweet tobacco with a bit of spice. The aroma at the foot was of hay and a bit of cedar. I chose to straight cut the cap with my scissors, which is my preferred cut. The first third had a earthy core with notes of spice and leather. It produced a generous amount of smoke despite a draw that was a tad on the firm side. The second third built on, what was for me, the medium body from the first third. In the second third the leather toned down a bit and a bit of cocoa and light coffee made their way into the mix. The final third built even more body bringing it to the full side of medium-full. The Final third was more of the second but added a light note of cinnamon and a bit more spice. The earthy core really tied this cigar together with a nice balance of mild sweetness and earthy spice. I had a few burn corrections which weakened the ash, if not for this I believe it's solid salt and pepper ash would have held strong until it was nubbed. It was a very meaty smoke, but not at all harsh, that built body and a tad bit of strength through out the burn. I have to get my hands on a few more of these for the humidor. It was a very enjoyable smoke and a perfect end to the hectic work day. I paired this with water as I do all cigars I smoke for review. The price point on these is around $3.33-$4.40 each, making it a great bargain. You can find them HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment